Sunday, October 17, 2010

Missing Her Dog

These visits are harder to write about, yet they really affirm that animal human bond. A local friend of mine has recently had her mother-in-law move in with her lively household. The MIL is being treated for brain cancer and the prognosis is not good. She moved to PA from Alabama and was not able to bring her dog along and had been missing her terribly. So, I was happy to take River for a visit and she, as well as the children, really seemed to enjoy him, both petting and his tricks. She told me about her dog and shared pictures and we chatted about other canine topics; she wanted to know about the Humane League here.

I heard afterward that River was quite the topic of conversation and something that seemed to give her pleasure. We returned a few times, even taking Amanda and puppy Noche along on one visit. Recently, my friend emailed that her MIL does not have long left and I thought, "we must visit again if she wants us." Before I could call, I heard through another friend,that she still talked about River and would like us to visit. So Satuday afternoon, we headed over there again. River was on his best behavior and even was generous with his "kisses" which she seems to like. We kept it light, chatting about dogs; she told a story about hers who is with her daughter. I maneuvered River to keep him close for petting as she has become a bit less steady. I was planning to keep the focus on visiting, as River gets food-focused if treats are out, but her young grandson brought out some Cheerios and coaxed a few tricks from River. Her only allusion to her health was when I offered to come again and she said " Well, if I'm here."

I never wanted to do hospice visits. I cry at sentimental commercials and I think I would be uselessly tearful in that situation. I met Jasmine & Moose at the Pitties in Park event and she does hospice visits - that seems so brave and so selfless to me, as with our friend who sings with a " Songs for the Journey" group. Yet, if she goes into hospice, I would take River to visit her.

No comments:

Post a Comment