Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reading Program Summary

River and I completed our stint at the Wickersham Elem reading program. It was to go through May, but I begged off at the end of April. Our end of year schedule is pretty busy and I needed to cut back. It was a learning experience for me and I think it was enjoyable to the children involved. I am not convinced that is was the most effective use of our time and River's particular skills. It was not set up along the lines of what has been shown to be effective at helping with improving reading. Specific goals and developing a relationship by working with the same children seem to be hallmarks of those programs.

I enjoyed the children and encouraging their reading, but preferred discussing their pets and demonstrating River's tricks and, if there was interest, telling them about training. River was agreeable to any activity and excited to be there for visits. His young mistress did not find it interesting and declined to participate. She likes working with children but much prefers the visits at Schreiber where we do AAT in PT area and work with one child over a period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment